After completion of the Semmeringbahn, only a makeshift train station exited at first with a decided restoration. Only in 1875 was the representative train station building erected and the train station restored.
In 1888, the building was restored, and in 1902 an extra waiting room was built on to the Kaiserhaus. After the turn of the century, the train station was restored once more.
The Payerbach train station (renamed Payerbach-Reichenau in 1894) was visited quite frequently by the monarchy.
Directly beside it is the starting point for the Erlebnisbahn Höllentalbahn which rides from Reichenau to the Hirschwang remise.